Originally the boulevard had the name Trubny (truba is the Russian word for tube). The present name was given to it, because since 1851 in this place a Flower Market had been located. In 1789-1791 the riverbed of Neglinnaya river, flowing through the modern Tsvetnoy Boulevard, was turned into a canal, in the middle of which there was a pool. In 1819 the river was put into the underground pipe and the pool was liquidated.
The huge modern multifunctional complex "The Legend of Tsvetnoy" includes an 8-storey building of an expensive business center and three residential towers. The complex was among the top-30 brightest architectural projects, completed in Moscow during the last 10 years in the frames of the exhibition "Architectural Moscow. An integrated approach" (International Academy of Architecture).
It is adjacent to Tsvetnoy boulevard and is a part of the Boulevard Ring. It appeared in the early XIX century on the site of the White City walls, demolished in the 1780-s.
3Trubnaya (Pipe) Square
From 1590 to 1770 there was a White City wall with a tower here. There were no gates to the White City there, but near the tower there was a closed bars opening for Neglinnaya river. People called this opening the "pipe" and a market, which appeared from the outside of the wall had been named the Pipe market. The market traded mainly logs, boards and log houses. When Neglinnaya river, or Neglinka, was imprisoned in an underground reservoir, a vast square was formed, named Trubnaya (Pipe) square.
4NO. 5, building 1-2
It housed the Moscow society of Gymnasts, founded in 1868. The Association was renting a number of buildings in the city until 1887, when their new building was constructed for the membership fees. Architect B. Freidenberg built a 2-storey brick house with a big gymnasium, attached to it.
5The Sculpture "Song"
A bronze sculpture, depicting three female peasants, is a sample of Socialist Realism. The author of the composition – M. Baburin. According to the sculptor's idea - the peasants, returning after hard work, are singing a song, not paying attention to fatigue. Barefoot women are presented carrying their tools, in simple peasant's dresses with raised edges of their skirts. The sculpture was opened in 1958.
The building was created in 1880 by architect Machonin. It was planned for a hotel. The house was rebuilt, repaired, but there is still a hotel here, as before.
The building was built in 1881 to demonstrate panoramic movies. The form of the construction was the octahedron with diameter of about 40 meters. Later it served as an arena for horse riding. In 1957 the building was converted into a cinema theatre, and a concert hall.
In 2002 fountain "Clowns", decorated with sculptures of Zurab Tsereteli appeared in the center of Tsvetnoy Boulevard. There are several figures in the fountain: in its centre - a clown, hurrying on a unicycle. He has an open umbrella, wet from the rain, and a suitcase with another clown, falling out of it. Other clowns are fixed in a somersault.
Nikulin Moscow Circus in Tsvetnoy Boulevard. The circus building was constructed in 1880 according to the project of Weber. The circus in Tsvetnoy was the only circus in Moscow till the new one appeared in 1970 in Vernadsky prospect. In 1989 a large-scale reconstruction was carried out. In fact, only the facade of the historic building has been preserved.
10Monument to Nikulin
Yuri Nikulin was a great clown, a great actor and also a Director of this circus. Everybody loved him... In 2000, a monument to Yuri Nikulin by sculptor Rukavishnikov was installed in front of the circus, directly in the street sidewalk. A bronze cabriolet from the most popular comedy movie "A Prisoner of the Caucasus", where Nikulin was starring, and the figure of the famous actor, coming out of it to the people, passing by.
Shopping centre "Tsvetnoy". A modern building constructed by architect Grigoryan. Earlier this place was occupied by the building of the Central Market, built in 1959, one of the most fashionable and expensive in Moscow.
The upper lobby of the Metro station "Tsvetnoy Boulevard" was built into the Moscow Metrostroy building. They say, this station was built at the personal request of Yuri Nikulin. At the end of the transition hall, Kalensky's stained -glass window "Circus performers " with an area of 25 square meters is installed.
The two-story mansion, where poet Valery Bryusov lived and worked in 1878-1910. He was born here in the family of a hereditary merchant, who constructed this mansion. The parents were not involved in the boy's life, but his father instilled in him a love for gambling. Bryusov was one of the founders of Russian Symbolism.
Another hotel – this time related to the circus, like many other things in Tsvetnoy Boulevard. Previously, it was a residential house, built in 1857. Now a nomadic circus tribe lives here.
15NO. 30The building was constructed in 1931 for the publishing house of "Literaturnaya Gazeta" (Literary Newspaper), it is a typical example of the Soviet Constructivism. Now there is also a publishing complex here.
16NO. 32, building 2
The two-storey mansion dates back to 1867. The publishing house of the magazine "Nash Sovremennik" (Our contemporary) is located in this building. The building has semi-arched windows, multi-level eaves, rustic corners with imitation of the stonework.