One of the oldest streets of the city, named after the monastery of St. Nicholas the Old, put at Vladimirskaya road. Today it's a walking zone, where very often different festivals and other public events take place.
1Kazan CathedralNO. 3
An Orthodox cathedral, built in the Russian style. As legend says, its first variant was constructed here with the money of the militia head Dmitry Pozharsky. He had given this vow during the war with the Polish-Lithuanian invaders. The temple was destroyed during the Soviet era, and at one time there was a public toilet at this place. It was one of the first churches, reconstructed in Moscow in the 1990s. Part of the money was given by the Moscow Government.
During the reign of Catherine II, the first shopping arcades were built here on the Quarenghi project, but they were lost in the fire of 1812, almost in front of Napoleon. The shopping mall was rebuilt at the same place again. So this place has a big trade history
3Shevaldyshevskoye CourtyardNO. 4/5
The existing complex of buildings, having a form of a "comb" in its plan, was constructed in the 1870s. Similar houses in old Moscow were called "combs". This one had deep cellars and was primarily intended for trade, but was also used as a hotel. There is no hotel here now, but a business centre, shops and small cafés.
4Red MintNO. 5/1, building 1
The mint was operating throughout almost the entire XVIII century and was moved to another place under the Emperor Paul in 1797. It was minting the national gold, silver and copper coins of various merits and some coins for special issues (e.g. for East Prussia).
5Nikolsky shoppingNO. 5/1, building 3
At this place Nikolsky (Iberian) shopping arcades were located. It was completed by architect Kekushev in November 11th, 1900. After the Soviet power had been established, the trade here was stopped. At the present moment the building, as well as the Mint, belongs to the Historical Museum.
6NO. 6/2, building 1
The house of the Epiphany Monastery was built in 1905 on the site of the demolished church of the XVII century. The Epiphany Monastery, located nearby, in Bogoyavlensky lane, traditionally was considered the oldest in Moscow. Currently the building belongs to the Federal Security Service.
7NO. 8/1 building 5
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin on the Chizhevsky Compound. Orthodox Church of the Iberian Deanery of the Moscow City Diocese. The temple is located on the territory of the former farmstead of the Chizhovs merchants. From the beginning of the XVI century in this place there stood a small wooden church of Michael Malein, one of the most famous saints, the founder of a huge number of Orthodox churches.
8Moscow Printing HouseNO. 15
The first Russian printing house. Founded under Ivan the Terrible in 1553. It was here, where the first printer Ivan Fedorov printed "Apostle". The bindings of the most part of the books, published by the Printing house, were decorated with a Unicorn. In general, from 1564 to 1711 there were printed about 700 books that gave start to the design style of all Russian books in the future.
The house, built for rent at the turn of XIX – XX centuries by Count Alexei Orlov-Davydov – a master of the royal court ceremonies and the Deputy of the state Duma of the Russian Empire. The first floor was given over to trade. Now, there is a 5-star hotel here.
The passage was built in the 1870s by Tretyakov brothers. The arch in the style of Russian antiquity was cut through the Kitay-Gorod wall. Currently, the passage is occupied by fashionable boutiques, and is considered to be the most expensive street in Moscow, along with Stoleshnikov lane. This is the only shopping street in Moscow, built with private funds.
The house and pharmacy of Ferrain, the master of pharmacy. The facade of the building was made in neo-Baroque style and the part, overlooking the courtyard, - in the Gothic revival style. The most famous pharmacy of Moscow. In Soviet times there was a spontaneous market around it, where one could find the most scarce medicines, and in the dashing 1990s the drug addicts were trying to buy illegal drugs.
The building of the Moscow Craft Council. In 1935-1950s it housed the Military Collegium of the Supreme Court — one of the main centers of Stalin's mass political repressions. So, people were also tortured not only in the huge former KGB building in Lubyanka square, but in some other nearby buildings.
"Nautilus" shopping center was built on the project of architect Vorontsov. This light glass building of unusual shape is considered to be one of the samples of the so-called "Luzhkov's style" in the architecture of Moscow.
Lubyanka was first mentioned in the Chronicles in 1480, when Ivan III ordered the residents of Veliky Novgorod, deported to Moscow, to settle in this place. Lubenice was the name of one of the places in their native town. In 1926 after the death of Dzerzhinsky, the chief security officer of the country, the square was renamed in his memory. In 1991 it got back its original name. The monument to Dzerzhinsky, which had been located in the centre of the square, was moved to the "Museon" park.
15The Sheremetievs' CourtyardNO. 10/2
It is the place, where several generations of the glorious Sheremetievs were born, lived and died. There was a small theater hall in the left outbuilding. It could be used in winter. Praskovia Zhemchugova – a serf actress, was starring on this stage. Her boss Pavel Sheremetiev fell in love with her and, in spite of all the gossips, married her.