One of the oldest streets in Moscow. It appeared in a course of construction of Pushechnyi Dvor in that region at the end of 15th century. The name of the street had been given to it by the bridge across the Neglinnaya river, which was later put into the tube. The name of the bridge itself was connected with blacksmiths (kuznetsy) who used to live there. In 1920th this street was considered to be the centre of foreign trade.
1Myasoedov manor№ 1/8
A very rare building which survived the fire of 1812. It was named by one of the proprietors of the building - N. Myasoedov, who designed mostly its` appearance. For a long period of time there was based a theatre college under the guidance of M. Scepkin. Later the Direction of Imperial theatres was settled in that building.
2Solodovnikov theatre№ 2/6
In 1880-1890 by request of millionaire G. Solodovnikov a five-tier theatre was built on this territory. It was designed for 3100 spectators. Initially it was destined only for Italian plays. Then “Private Russian play» by S. Mamontov was demonstrated there. This theatre became the first place in Moscow where the famous Lumier train show was performed.
3Kuznetsky passage№ 4/3
One of the principal buildings of this angular architectural ensemble was built in 1893 especially for trade shop «Kuznetsky passage». Moldings décor is regarded as a main beauty of all the street.
4Chomyakov profitable house№ 6
Before the revolution here was situated a long wooden house which belonged for years to Chomyakov family. Nowadays it is consisted of three separate buildings.
5Berlin house№ 5/5
In this building many restaurants were situated which were attended in different times by Pushkin, Turgenev, Nekrasov, Esenin, Mayakovsky. The famous Russian singer Vertinsky sang there. In Soviet times the publishing house of the “Big soviet encyclopedia” was based there. Afterwards the building was seriously rebuilt.
6Hotel «Leipzig»№ 7/6/9
Entirely commercial building where a hotel was founded which changed its` name several times: «Leipzig», «Shora», «Russia», «France». In the times of NAP (New Economic Politics) the “Moscow worker” publishing house was opened there which issued several popular newspapers, such as «Pioneer Pravda», «Novel-newspaper» etc. This house published famous “Quiet Don” by M. Sholohov which was printed by parts in «October» magazine.
On the crossroads of Petrovka and Kuznezky bridge were installed the first traffic lights in Moscow. It is hardly to imagine but there was the most busy traffic in the city at that time.
8TSUM department storePetrovka, 2
The TSUM building in its` present neo-gothic style was constructed in 1908 but it had been a place for trade much earlier. The first owner was a Scottish company «Muir & Merilis». Their enterprise started from the single hat shop in 1885 but in 4 years modified in 28 different trade departments. It was the first local shop where trade principles such as price tags, return of goods and sales were applied.
9«Yar» restaurant№ 9/10
In 1926 in Shavan house a Frenchman Tranquiele Yard opened the hotel and French cuisine restaurant «Yar» which was repeatedly visited by Pushkin. The genius poet dedicated to «Yar» lines of his poem: «For how long should i recall in hunger sorrow of abstinence the cold beef and truffles of Yar?»
The first Moscow telephone station for 800 numbers was opened here in 1882. After the World War 2 the all-Union Fashion house was founded in that building. Fashion weeks were organized there and outstanding fashions were designed for soviet celebrities. Nowadays the slot machines museum is opened there.
11San-Galli Passage№ 11
Before the revolution there were situated famous shops of Kuznetsky bridge. Since 1930 a cooperative society “Vsekohudozhnik» was located there and since 1953 till today - the Moscow Artist house.
12Tretyakov profitable house№ 13\9
In 1809 the Moscow medical academy moved here. During French invasion Stendal was known to stay there. In 1843 the house was bought by Tretyakov brothers and was rebuilt in profitable house. They used the profit from leasing to organize the famous collection of Russian paintings.
13Jamgarov profitable premises№ 18/7
This house was full of shops mostly connected with printing industry. Even now still exist the «Writers book store» and «Foreign book house». In one part of the building is situated Embassy of Moldova in Russia.
14Torletsky-Zaharin profitable house№ 20/6/9
In 17th century this territory belonged to tsar assistant M.Sobakin and afterwards to his relatives. The neighboring territory belonged to Saltykov family. There stood the house of «Saltychiha», a terrible Russian land-lady who caused the death of 38 peasants and who was imprisoned for life. Then at this place there were opened several different trade shops.
15Tverskoy farmstead№ 17
Since 17th century it used to be a residence of Tver Archbishops. There was also a temple. Several buildings were rent by traders, so the religion and commerce were friendly neighbors there. In 1996 the part of the farmstead was destroyed ant the other was rebuilt.
16«Muir & Merilis» shop№ 19
This building is known since 1742. Belonged to Gagarin family for a long period. In 1888 in a renewed facility was placed the branch of universal trade firm «Muir & Merilis», which was also an owner of the present building of TSUM.
17FSC (KGB) complex of buildings№ 22—24
In 1982 in the place of specially demolished historical buildings of F. Schvabe company there were constructed by architects B. Palui and G. Makarevich several buildings for KGB of USSR – an odious and gloomy organization in the opinion of foreigners – which began to be too big to settle in its` historical place on Lybyanskaya square.
Earlier the street was ended by the church, made in 1519 by Italian architect Alevise the junior. In 1611 during the rebellion of Minin and Pozharsky the consolidation of the army of the latter was based there. In 1924 the church was ruined and the square was organized instead with the monument to revolutionary leader A. Vorovskiy.